The Englishmen starred for the New York Red Bulls in their regular season home-opener against Eastern Conference rival D.C. United at Red Bull Arena yesterday. The Red Bulls won 2-0 thanks to strong attacking play from forward Bradley Wright-Phillips and midfielder Lloyd Sam. Wright-Phillips opened the scoring when he settled a long pass from captain Dax McCarty and volleyed home a strike between two defenders in the 25th minute. The man-of-the-match then assisted on the team's second goal as Wright-Phillips fed Lloyd Sam who beat goalkeeper Bill Hamid near post in the 71st minute. Full Match Recap
- NY: Luis Robles, Chris Duvall, Matt Miazga, Damien Perrinelle, Kemar Lawrence, Dax McCarty, Felipe, Lloyd Sam, Sacha Kljestan, Sal Zizzo (Dane Richards 65'), Bradley Wright-Phillips (Anatole Abang 93')
- DC: Bill Hamid, Sean Franklin, Bobby Boswell, Steve Birnbaum, Chris Korb (Taylor Kemp 70'), Nick DeLeon, Davy Arnaud, Perry Kitchen, Chris Rolfe, Chris Pontius, Jairo Arrieta (Conor Doyle 66')
Goals and Assists:
- 25' Bradley Wright Phillips 1 (Dax McCarty 1)
- 71' Lloyd Sam 2 (Bradley Wright Phillips 1)
- DC: Boswell, Caution, 78'
- NY: Perrinelle, Caution, 82'
WATCH THE GOALS
Bradley Wright-Phillips settles and smashes a shot past Hamid
Lloyd Sam beats Hamid near post
Team photographer Rob Tringali was on hand for RBNY's 2-0 win over D.C United at Red Bull Arena. Check out his best snaps from the day, below.
Red Bulls head coach Jesse Marsch speaks to media after the team's 2-0 win over DC United at Red Bull Arena.
Bradley Wright-Phillips talks about his goal in the Red Bulls’ 2-0 victory over D.C. and the chemistry forming on the club.
Red Bulls captain Dax McCarty comments on the team's 2-0 home-opening win over rivals DC United.
THE 91ST MINUTE WITH DAX MCCARTY
Lloyd Sam celebrated his 71st minute goal by running to Connor Lade in the corner and doing a well-choreographed handshake. More details on the handshake, including a tutorial are coming soon.
New York will hit the road this weekend to take on Crew SC in Columbus at MAPFRE stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday, March 28 at 7:30 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG2 beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET.