Backe: Search for No. 10 is off, for now
Earlier last week, New York head coach Hans Backe revealed that the
club had failed to sign one of two creative midfielders that had been
targeted for a playmaker role.
Backe then revealed later in the
week that there was another midfielder in the picture that the team was
talking with. Apparently, talks have ceased there, too.
think nothing has happened with that,” Backe told MLSSoccer.com. “At the
moment, we have nothing else that we are pursuing. I don’t think we’ll
have any additions this transfer window.”
Backe said that he is
pleased with the midfield as it is, and he’s not looking to make any
additions after this recent setback. The team had been looking for a
central player who could deliver the ball effectively to Juan Pablo Angel and
his partner up top. Currently, the Red Bulls are tied for fifth in the
league in goals scored.
The coach praised the play of
Colorado’s central midfielder Mehdi Ballouchy in
orchestrating the flow of the game for his team in Sunday’s 1-1 tie at
Dick’s sporting Goods Park. However, he affirmed that there were
currently no Ballouchy-like targets for the Red Bulls.
stay as we are,” Backe said.
Two weeks ago, the coach revealed
to MLSSoccer.com that he was pursuing two European midfielders to add
creativity and distribution to the team. Both targets were
out-of-contract players, Backe had said, adding that any signing would
be a recognizable name to American soccer fans.
transfer window opens on July 15.
Kristian Dyer is a reporter for MLSSoccer.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.