MATCH RECAP: Red Bulls 1, Earthquakes 1
HARRISON, N.J. – If the New York Red Bulls had forgotten about the San Jose Earthquakes’ never-say-die attitude, they were reminded on Saturday.
Steven Lenhart picked a good time to score his first goal of the season, netting an 85th-minute equalizer that made amends for his first-half gaffe and gave the Earthquakes a 1-1 draw in front of 20,001 fans at Red Bull Arena.
Lenhart’s tally came following a deflected cross from the right flank, with the veteran forward clipping the ball up to himself before unleashing a hard volley that Luis Robles could not stop.
The strike negated Bradley Wright-Phillips’ first-half penalty kick, and saw the Earthquakes move to 4-8-5 while pushing New York to 5-6-9.
Wright-Phillips initially put the Red Bulls in front by converting a penalty kick in the 33rd minute that was given to New York after Lenhart clearly handled a ball in the area. The hosts, however, gave up several clear chances late before Lenhart punished them with a well-taken strike.
New York had opportunities to put the game away before Lenhart found the back of the net, but they were unable to capitalize. Wright-Phillips had a golden look in the 81st minute to put the game out of reach and add to his league-leading 17 goals, but San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch denied the English striker on a one-on-one opportunity.
The Red Bulls also had a chance to find a late winner, but Lloyd Sam saw his shot in stoppage time cleared off the goal line. New York could have had a penalty kick in the final minute of the match as well when Peguy Luyindula appeared to take a kick to the face, but match official Jose Carlos Rivero gave the French midfielder a yellow card for simulation.
The Earthquakes quickly return to action, hosting the Chicago Fire in a cross-conference match on Wednesday. The Red Bulls, meanwhile, enter a week-long break from MLS play but will receive a visit from Arsenal in a friendly on July 26.
- New York Red Bulls 1, San Jose Earthquakes 1
- July 19, 2014
- MLS Regular Season
- Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ
- Scoring Summary:
- NY: Bradley Wright-Phillips 17 (penalty kick) 33’
- SJ: Steven Lenhart 1 (unassisted) 85’
- SJ: Chris Wondolowski (caution) 33’
- SJ: Shaun Francis (caution) 46+’
- SJ: Steven Lenhart (caution) 65’
- NY: Tim Cahill (caution) 70’
- NY: Jamison Olave (caution) 70’
- SJ: Shea Salinas (caution) 78’
- NY: Chris Duvall (caution) 84’
- NY: Peguy Luyindula (caution) 94+’
- Referee: Jose Carlos Rivero
- Referee’s Assistants: Claudio Badea, Danny Thornberry
- 4th Referee: Robert Sibiga
- Attendance: 20,001