THE WEEKLY: Three Red Bulls set for All-Star Game in Portland on Wednesday
RED BULLS LOOK TO EXTEND UNBEATEN STREAK IN WINDY CITY
The New York Red Bulls took four out of a possible six points in two games last week, earning a point at Real Salt Lake on July 30 before beating New England at home on August 2. This week, the Red Bulls travel to Chicago on Sunday looking to build on last week and extend its unbeaten streak to four games.
Kickoff for Sunday’s match at Toyota Park is set for 8:00 PM ET with MSG broadcasting the game live. Sunday’s match will be the third and final meeting between the two clubs this season. New York has gone 0-1-1 against the Fire this season. The teams last met on May 10 with the Fire earning a dramatic 5-4 victory at Red Bull Arena.
HENRY, CAHILL AND BWP SET FOR MLS ALL-STAR GAME ON WEDNESDAY
Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill and Bradley Wright-Phillips will all participate in the MLS All-Star Game on Wednesday night in Portland as the league’s best take on Bayern Munich at Providence Park. Kickoff for Wednesday’s match is set for 9:30 PM ET with ESPN2 broadcasting the game nationally.
Henry currently leads the league in assists with 10 while Wright-Phillips leads the MLS Golden Boot race with 18 goals, including six over his last seven league matches. Wright-Phillips is just one goal shy of tying Juan Pablo Angel’s club record for goals in the regular season. Cahill has scored one goal and added two assists this season and scored two goals for Australia in the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Cahill spoke to media members following a training session Monday morning in Portland. A full quote sheet is below:
On MLS All-Star appearance so far
- It’s awesome. I think for me, I really wanted to be here. It’s my second time, last time I couldn’t play, but to be a part of it, just the little things in training, the quality of the players, we just did a little 5v2 and a few drills and it was exceptional. It’s nice to be here to represent your club and also the league and it’s going to be a tough game against a very good opposition in Bayern Munich.
On importance of these events for the league
- I think it’s very important for the league. Not only just for the factor of giving back to the fans, but also testing out the quality of the players in our league and I feel that, if you want to grow as a league then you have to represent it on an international level, playing against one of the best teams in the world and great caliber and you’ll see with the players flying in just for this game, it’s commendable for everyone that’s made this happen. For me, it’s all about playing football against the best and this is the opportunity.
On building cohesiveness in short time within the All-Star Team
- It’s crazy, but it is what is. In football … (lost a little bit) … a lot of us have played on big levels and understand what’s expected of us and at the same time we’re weary of the fact that we’ve got games on Saturday and I’ve played like eight games in the last three weeks so I’ve just got to make sure the body’s ok after these games as well to continue for the domestic league.
On a particular player looking forward to playing with or against
- It’s great to meet up with Landon (Donovan) again and Clint Dempsey … (lost sound again) a lot of these boys, the quality is really, really impressive and I feel that’s the most important thing and when you put players like that together, there’s a mutual respect and also an understanding of football, the way it’s played and hopefully it’s very light sessions and there’s not much going on, but the boss will give us our jobs tactically and whether we get minutes on the pitch is another thing, but it’s good to play with players like this.
RED BULLS U-23s WIN NPSL CHAMPIONSHIP
The New York Red Bulls U-23s captured the National Premier Soccer League Championship on Saturday night, defeating Chattanooga FC 3-1 at Red Bull Arena. Joe Farrell broke a 1-1 tie in the 84th minute to lift the Red Bulls to victory. MATCH RECAP & PHOTOS
2015 SEASON TICKET RENEWALS BEGIN
Current New York Red Bulls Full Season Ticket Holders can start renewing their plans for the 2015 MLS season today. In addition, Season Ticket Packages for the New York Red Bulls’ 2015 MLS regular season will go on sale Wednesday, August 6.
Full Season Plans, which include 17 regular season matches, a bonus event, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup games (excluding the final) and MLS Cup home playoff matches (excluding MLS Cup Final), start at just $320 per seat. Current plan holders who renew by September 5 will be able to earn the most benefits, including the ability to lock in their prices from the 2014 season.
New season ticket buyers who purchase a plan before September 5 will also receive a Red Membership, which includes first team access at team events, a season ticket holder scarf and pre-sale windows among other benefits, at no additional cost.
RED BULLS LEAD MLS IN ASSISTS
Through Week 21 of the 2014 MLS season, the Red Bulls lead the league in assists. Along with leading the league in team assists, the Red Bulls have the individual assists leader, Thierry Henry (10), as well. Henry is the only player in MLS to eclipse the double-digit mark in assists this season. Eric Alexander and Lloyd Sam are tied for second on the team and eight in the league with seven assists each.
- New York 38
- Los Angeles 37
- Seattle 33
- D.C. 30
- Philadelphia/Salt Lake 29
WRIGHT-PHILLIPS CLOSING IN ON SINGLE-SEASON CLUB SCORING RECORD
Bradley Wright-Phillips scored the game-winning goal against New England last Saturday at Red Bull Arena in a 2-1 win. The goal was Wright-Phillips’ league-leading 18th of the season and his sixth goal in his last seven MLS regular-season appearances.
MLS GOLDEN BOOT RACE
- Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls) 18
- Dom Dwyer (Sporting Kansas City) 14
- Erick Torres (Chivas USA) 14
- Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy) 12
- Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC) 11
The Englishman, who currently leads the MLS Golden Boot race, is one goal away from tying New York’s single-season goal scoring record currently held by Juan Pablo Angel who scored 19 goals in 2007. Kenny Cooper scored 18 goals as well in 2012 for New York. Wright-Phillips has 12 regular-season games remaining to break Angel’s single-season record.
DAX MCCARTY PROVIDES SPARK IN WIN OVER NEW ENGLAND
Despite his team trailing 1-0 and being down a man for the entire second half, Dax McCarty scored a crucial goal in the 47th minute last Saturday against New England to level the score at 1-1 and give New York a much needed spark en route to a 2-1 win. McCarty took pass from Eric Alexander just outside the 18-yard-box and then chipped New England goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth. The goal was McCarty’s second of the season.
LEADERS IN GOALS, ASSISTS AND SAVES
Entering Week 22 of the MLS regular season, three Red Bulls players lead the league in goals, assists and saves. Bradley Wright-Phillips leads the Golden Boot race with 18 goals, four ahead of Kansas City’s Dom Dwyer and Chivas USA’s Erick Torres. Thierry Henry’s four assists in his last five games has him first in assists with 10. Luis Robles (77 saves) is three ahead of Donovan Ricketts (74 saves) for the league lead. LINK: MLS STATISTICS