New York Red Bulls Homegrown players Santiago Castaño, Matt Miazga, and Amando Moreno were all called up to the United States U-20 national team for an international training camp to take place in Verona, Italy, from Nov. 10-20.
The squad, mostly comprised of graduates from the U.S. U-17 and U-18 national-team programs, is planning to play three friendly matches in addition to its training regimen. The U.S. will play against Italian Serie A side Hellas Verona’s academy team Hellas Verona Primavera, Iran’s U-20 national team, and a yet-to-be-confirmed opponent.
“This is purely a camp where we can get a better idea of where our players are,” U.S. U-20 head coach Tab Ramos told USSoccer.com. “They are all players who are getting great experiences, and this particular camp gives us a good chance to see them in an international camp, playing in an international environment, which will give us a good idea of what these players can do.”
The Red Bulls' trio of 18-year-olds gained significant experience in their first season with the professional club this year. Moreno made two MLS appearances in March and his first career start in the Open Cup win over Reading United, while Miazga made his professional debut in September. Castaño made the 18-man game-day roster numerous times while backing up ever-present starter Luis Robles.
In MLS Reserve League play, Moreno contributed a goal and two assists in 11 games, while Miazga made nine starts and Castaño went 3-2 with a 1.99 goals-against-average.
Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2) : Santiago Castano (New York Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.), Ethan Horvath (Molde FK; Highlands Ranch, Colo.)
DEFENDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Conor Donovan (Capital Area RailHawks Academy; Fuquay Varina, N.C.), Matias Fracchia (NJSA 04; Roselle Park, N.J.), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (IMG Academy; Powder Springs, Ga.), John Requejo Jr. (Real So Cal; Carpinteria, Calif.)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Russell Canouse (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Lancaster, Pa.), Marco Delgado (Chivas USA; Glendora, Calif.), Junior Flores (Borussia Dortmund; Manassas Park, Va.), Romain Gall (FC Lorient; Herndon, Va.), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland AFC; Santa Cruz, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham FC; Plano, Texas), Kristian Scott (Swansea City AFC; Winterbourne, Bristol), Omar Thompson (Wigan Athletic; Miami, Fla.)
FORWARDS (6): Kainoa Bailey (Bayer 04 Leverkusen; Henderson, Nev.), Benji Lopez (Real Salt Lake; San Diego, Calif.), Amando Moreno (New York Red Bulls; Morganville, N.J.), Zach Pfeffer (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Dresher, Pa.), Rubio Rubin (Unattached; Beaverton, Ore.), Ben Spencer (Molde FK; Albuquerque, N.M.)
Additional Notes :
- The U-20 MNT World Cup roster features 19 players who have ties to the Development Academy, including eight who are currently registered: Kellyn Acosta, Santiago Castano, Conor Donovan, Matias Fracchia, Matthew Miazga, Shaquell Moore, Amando Moreno and John Requejo Jr.
- Six players were born in 1996 : Conor Donovan, Junior Flores, Emerson Hyndman, Shaquell Moore, John Requejo Jr., and Rubio Rubin. Four of those players – Donovan, Moore, Requejo Jr. and Rubin – all helped the U.S. U-17 MNT win the International Tournament in Niigata, Japan, with a perfect 3-0-0 record in July.
- Donovan, Moore, Rubin and Hyndman were all included in the U.S. U-18 MNT squad that took second (on goal differential to host France) at the Limoges Tournament in France with a 2-0-1 record this past October.
- Acosta played on the FC Dallas U-17/18 Academy squad that won the 2011-12 Academy Finals Week title game against the Vancouver Whitecaps at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston. He was also a member of the U.S. U-17 squad during the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico and the U.S. U-20 MNT at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.
- Former U.S. Men’s National Team players Tony Meola and Clint Mathis will join head coach Tab Ramos’ staff for the camp.
- Castano started in goal to help the New York Red Bulls U-17/18 Academy win the title at the 2012-13 Academy Finals Week. The Red Bulls defeated Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy 2-1 in overtime on July 21 in Houston.
U.S. Under-20 MNT Schedule
Nov. 13 Hellas Verona Primavera
Nov. 18 Iran U-20
Nov. 19 TBD