NEW YORK (June 4, 2014) Seattle Sounders FC forward Clint Dempsey tops Major League Soccer's list of most popular jerseys. The U.S. Men’s National Team captain, who will be leading his team to the FIFA World Cup in Brazil next week, vaulted to the top of the list after signing with Seattle in August 2013.
Dempsey is joined on the list by eight players that will compete in the FIFA World Cup. The United States play their first game versus Ghana on June 16.
The rankings are based on overall retail sales on MLSgear.com and MLSGearCanada.ca since the beginning of the 2014 MLS season.
Rounding out the top five are MLS’ all-time leading scorer, LA Galaxy forward Landon Donovan (No. 2), Toronto FC and USMNT midfielder Michael Bradley (No. 3), New York Red Bulls forward and World Cup winner Thierry Henry (No. 4) and New York Red Bulls and Australia midfielder Tim Cahill (No. 5).
- Eight members of the U.S. Men’s National Team who will be playing in Brazil are on the list (Dempsey, Bradley, Gonzalez, Zusi, Yedlin, Beckerman, Besler and Wondolowski). Tim Cahill will represent Australia.
- Two players on the list are MLS Homegrown Players (DeAndre Yedlin and Diego Fagúndez).
- adidas has been a partner of MLS since the league’s inception in 1996. In 2004, adidas and MLS announced an exclusive partnership agreement that named adidas the official athletic sponsor and product supplier, outfitting all league teams and supplying the league’s official match ball.
Top 15 most popular adidas MLS player jerseys:
- Clint Dempsey Seattle Sounders FC
- Landon Donovan LA Galaxy
- Michael Bradley Toronto FC
- Thierry Henry New York Red Bulls
- Tim Cahill New York Red Bulls
- Robbie Keane LA Galaxy
- Jermain Defoe Toronto FC
- Omar Gonzalez LA Galaxy
- Graham Zusi Sporting Kansas City
- DeAndre Yedlin Seattle Sounders FC
- Kyle Beckerman Real Salt Lake
- Matt Besler Sporting Kansas City
- Chris Wondolowski San Jose Earthquakes
- Maurice Edu Philadelphia Union
- Diego Fagúndez New England Revolution