Notebook: Holgersson Out, Conde Doubtful in Saturday's Match Against Toronto

UPPER MONTCLAIR, N.J. – When the New York Red Bulls walk out of the tunnel and onto the pitch at BMO Field this Saturday, one player who will not be there is Markus Holgersson.

The Swedish center back has been ruled out of this weekend’s match against Toronto FC as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury. Holgersson was one of the few players not at training on Wednesday morning and he was seen wearing a medical boot at the Red Bulls’ 3-2 win over D.C. United this past Sunday.

“He’s out for Saturday,” Backe told MLSsoccer.com. “Should be in for the New England game.”

Holgersson’s knock was sustained in the final 15 minutes of last Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Conde doubtful

Adding to the Red Bulls’ injury woes on defense, Wilman Conde is being listed as doubtful for the matchup against Toronto FC. Conde is suffering from a "soft" groin knock and there is an outside chance he could train Friday and dress Saturday, but Backe did not sound too optimistic.

“He’s picking up [injuries on the] left side, right side, and it’s not surprising because the less number of games the last one-and-a-half years,” Backe said of the oft-injured Conde. “Thirteen games last year with Atlas in Mexico and then in and out picking up injuries here. That’s quite normal until you get a full preseason.”

Conde was at practice on Wednesday morning, but he was limited to just doing running drills with a trainer.

Márquez still expected vs. TFC

Like Holgersson, Rafa Márquez was not present at training on Wednesday morning. Márquez, who recently recovered from a thigh problem, sustained a calf knock in the last 15 minutes of the Red Bulls’ triumph over D.C. United. But Backe still expects him to play on Saturday.

“Treatment today, will train tomorrow,” said Backe.

No update on Rodgers

The Red Bulls originally said they planned on hearing an update on Luke Rodgers’ situation this past weekend.

So much for that.

New York have not received any update on Rodgers, who met with the US Consulate in Oslo, Norway on June 13 to discuss the possibility of him being granted a visa.

“We haven’t heard anything so far,” said Backe. “So nothing you can do in a way, just wait.”