TAMPA, Fl. (January 27, 2018) -- The New York Red Bulls opened the preseason slate with an exhibition match against the University of South Florida on Saturday morning at Corbett Stadium on the USF Campus.
The match featured three 30-minute periods. The Red Bulls used three predetermined lineups for each period. New York ‘s first group won the match 2-0, the second group earned a 1-0 victory and group three won 4-0.
Group 1: RBNY 2, USF 0
Luis Robles; Kyle Duncan, Ish Jome, Tommy Redding, Aurelien Collin, Andrew Tinari, Steven Echevarria, Daniel Royer, Florian Valot, Bradley Wright Phillips, Stefano Bonomo
Goals: Bradley Wright-Phillips 6’ (Steven Echevarria), Daniel Royer 16’ (Ish Jome)
- Early on in the first period, Steven Echevarria generated the Red Bulls first opportunity from midfield as he looped a pass over the USF backline to Bradley Wright-Phillips. Wright-Phillips took the pass in stride and finished to the near post in the sixth minute.
- Later in the period, Ish Jome forced a turnover inside the USF defensive third and sent a ball into the box for Daniel Royer, who finished the chance in the 16th minute.
Group 2: RBNY 1, USF 0
Ryan Meara; Jordan Scarlett, Aaron Long, Kevin Politz, Niko De Vera, Sean Davis, Michael Amir Murillo, Alex Muyl (Ben Mines, 19’), Muhamed Keita, Amando Moreno, Carlos Rivas
Goals: Ben Mines 24’ (Niko De Vera)
- The Red Bulls were able to break through for a goal after a mostly scoreless period. Ben Mines, who came in for Alex Muyl midway through the period, finished a chance at the far post after a cross from 2018 MLS Draft Pick Niko De Vera.
Group 3: RBNY 4, USF 0
Evan Louro; Connor Lade, Hassan Ndam, Fidel Escobar, Andrew Lombard (Brian White, 26’), Cristian Casseres, Felipe, Ethan Kutler, Vincent Bezecourt, Derrick Etienne Jr., Tom Barlow
Goals: Tom Barlow 4’ (Andrew Lombard, Vincent Bezecourt), Cristian Casseres, Jr. 7’, Derrick Etienne Jr. 26’ (Casseres, Jr.), Vincent Bezecourt 28' (Brian White)
- New York came out strong in the beginning of the period, scoring two quick goals through the first seven minutes. Vincent Bezecourt began the chance as he swung a pass to the right side for Andrew Lombard. Lombard dribbled towards the endline and played the ball into the six-yard box for 2018 Draft Pick Tom Barlow to redirect.
- Minutes later, Cristian Casseres, Jr. curled in a shot from outside the 18-yard box to double the lead.
- In the 24th minute, Casseres, Jr. earned possession deep inside the USF defensive third and fed to his right for Derrick Etienne, Jr., who chipped over the diving USF goalkeeper to raise New York’s lead to 3-0.
- Minutes later Brian White regained possession for the Red Bulls in USF territory and found Bezecourt, who quickly found the back of the net with a low shot for New York’s fourth goal.