BRADENTON, Fla. (January 31, 2018) – Despite scoring two quick goals early in the first period, the New York Red Bulls dropped a 4-3 decision to New England on Wednesday at IMG Academy. The Red Bulls also played a 45-minute period against Kickers FC (Florida Suncoast Soccer League), grabbing a 3-1 victory.
New England 4, New York 3
Alex Muyl (unassisted) 11’
Bradley Wright Phillips (Felipe) 13’
Carlos Rivas (unassisted) 76’
Brian Wright (Scott Caldwell) 32’,
Cristian Penilla (unassisted) 39’
Kelyn Rowe (PK) 61’
Oluwafemi (Brian White) 70’
First Half Lineup: Luis Robles; Ismalia Jome, Aurelien Collin, Aaron Long, Tommy Redding, Michael Amir Murillo, Felipe, Alex Muyl, Sean Davis, Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips
Second Half Lineup: Ryan Meara; Ismalia Jome, Hassan Ndam, Fidel Escobar, Connor Lade, Tyler Adams, Alex Muyl, Vincent Bezecourt, Derrick Etienne, Jr., Stefano Bonomo, Carlos Rivas
• New York opened up the match as Alex Muyl got free at the edge of the six-yard box and slotted a hard shot to the far post for the first goal of the match.
• Minutes later, the Red Bulls earned a free kick just outside the 18-yard box. Felipe restarted play with a touch to his right for Bradley Wright-Phillips. Wright-Phillips blasted his shot past the New England wall to the near post to double New York’s lead.
• New England tallied back-to-back goals late in the first period to even the match at the half, 2-2.
• The Red Bulls made nine changes after 45 minutes.
• In the 56th minute, Ryan Meara made a big save to keep the score 2-2.
•The Revolution had another two-goal stretch early in the second period to grab a two-goal lead, 4-2, with 20 minutes remaining.
• New York earned another free-kick opportunity outside the 18-yard box in the 76th. Newcomer Carlos Rivas took the chance and ripped a hard shot just underneath the crossbar to cut the deficit to one, 4-3.
New York 3, Kickers FC 1
Scoring: NY: Brian White (unassisted), Jordan Scarlett (Florian Valot), Ben Mines
Lineup: Evan Louro; Ethan Kutler, Jordan Scarlett, Kevin Politz, Kyle Duncan, Steven Echevarria, Andrew Tinari, Amando Moreno, Florian Valot, Ben Mines, Brian White
• Early in the period, Brian White found himself inside the Kickers’ 18-yard box and finished to the near post to grab the early 1-0 lead.
• Later on, Florian Valot swung a corner kick into the eight-yard box for Jordan Scarlett, who timed his header perfectly past the goalkeeper and under the cross bar to double the Red Bulls lead, 2-1.
• As the period was coming to an end, Ben Mines was able to cap the match off with strong shot to the far post to beat the goalkeeper.