New York Red Bulls 3, Phoenix Rising FC 2
Saturday, Feburary 10, 2018 – 7 p.m. MT
Phoenix Rising FC Soccer Complex | Phoenix, Ariz.
PHX – Own Goal (Aurelien Collin) 7’
NY – Alex Muyl (Kemar Lawrence, Felipe) 37’
PHX – Kevaughn Frater (Devin Vega) 71’
NY – Vincent Bezecourt (unassisted) 90’
NY – Fidel Escobar (Felipe) 90+1’
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles; Michael Amir Murillo, Aaron Long, Aurelien Collin, Kemar Lawrence, Felipe, Tyler Adams, Daniel Royer ©, Sean Davis, Alex Muyl, Bradley Wright-Phillips
- The New York Red Bulls’ late-match heroics in extra time helped defeat Phoenix Rising FC, 3-2, on Saturday night at Phoenix Rising FC Soccer Complex.
- Down 2-1 heading into stoppage time, New York’s Vincent Bezecourt sent in the equalizer off a loose ball in the 18-yard box in the 90th minute.
- Seconds later, the Red Bulls were awarded a free-kick chance just outside the 18-yard box. Felipe flicked the ball forward for Fidel Escobar, who sent a rocket past Phoenix’s goalkeeper at the near post for the game winner.
- Phoenix Rising got on the board during an offensive push and sent a cross towards the inside of the 18-yard box. Rising’s cross was cut off by Aurelien Collin, who looked to redirect it back towards goalkeeper Luis Robles, but sailed over Robles’s reach for the first goal in the seventh minute.
- New York responded in the 37th minute to level the match, 1-1. From atop the box, Felipe sent his pass towards the endline for Kemar Lawrence, who lofted his pass into the six-yard box. Alex Muyl charged toward Lawrence’s pass and headed in to the near post for the equalizer.
- Midway through the beginning of the second half, Phoenix’s Devin Vega led a counter attack and found Kevaughn Frater inside the box. Frater took two touches and finished to the far post for the 2-1 lead in the 71st minute.