New York Red Bulls 2, Club Tijuana 0
Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals (Leg One)
Tuesday, March 6, 2018 - 10 p.m. ET
Estadio Caliente | Tijuana, Mexico
NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips (unassisted) 9'
NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips (Florian Valot) 67'
NY - Sean Davis (caution, unsporting behavior) 16'
NY - Alex Muyl (caution, unsporting behavior) 59'
TIJ - Pablo Aguilar (caution, argument) 76'
NY - Luis Robles (caution, time wasting) 80'
NY - Derrick Etienne, Jr. (caution, unsporting behavior) 90'+6'
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Kemar Lawrence, Marc Rzatkowski (Florian Valot, 42'), Daniel Royer (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 80'), Tyler Adams (Connor Lade, 80'), Sean Davis, Alex Muyl, Bradley Wright-Phillips
TOTAL SHOTS: 11; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 13
Club Tijuana: Gibran Lajud; Damian Perez, Juan Carlos Valenzuela, Omar Mendoza, Pablo Aguilar, Damian Musto, Ignacio Rivero (Luis Chavez, 70'), Luis Mendoza, Matues Goncalves (Rubio Rubin, HT), Miller Bolanos, Jose Alberto Garcia
TOTAL SHOTS: 30; SHOTS ON GOAL: 13; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 13; SAVES: 1
Referee: Kimbell Ward
Assistant Referee: Graeme Browne, Nicholas Andersson
Fourth Official: Daneion Parchment
- A Bradley-Wright Phillips brace gives the New York Red Bulls a 2-0 win over Club Tijuana on Tuesday night at Estadio Caliente in the first leg of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals.
- New York not only holds a 2-0 aggregate heading into leg two, but has an advantage with two away goals. The Red Bulls can advance with scorelines of 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 1-1, 1-2.
- The Red Bulls delivered Club Tijuana its first home loss in a CONCACAF Champions League match since 2013. Tijuana was previously 4-0-1 and had outscored its opponent, 13-3.
- Wright-Phillips wasted no time grabbing a crucial goal as he gave New York a 1-0 lead in the ninth minute. Off a loose ball inside the six-yard box, Wright-Phillips crashed in, redirecting the ball underneath the crossbar.
- Holding onto a 1-0 lead in the second half, Wright-Phillips doubled the lead in the 67thminute. Florian Valot sent a through ball into the 18-yard box for Wright-Phillips, who turned took one touch to his right and finished to the near post to complete his brace.
- Wright-Phillips raised his career all competitions goal total to 103 with his third and fourth career CONCACAF Champions league tallies.
- BWP has scored a goal in back-to-back matches. He has also tallied a point in his last four matches, dating back to last season. Of those four matches, he has tallied three goals.
- Wright-Phillips also raised his career braces across all competitions to 17.
- Valot, who signed an MLS contract with New York in December from NYRB II, not only made his first career appearance for the first team, but tallied his first career assist.
- Luis Robles had a monster match, tallying a career-best 13 saves. Robles was just two saves shy of tying Tony Meola for the single-match club record, which was set back on April 5, 1997.
- Robles has recorded a clean sheet in back-to-back matches and in three of the last four matches across all competitions.
- Recently acquired center back Tim Parker made an immediate impact as he started his first game as a Red Bull.
- New York extended its unbeaten streak across all competitions to four matches, dating back to the end of last season. The Red Bulls have outscored opponent in the last four matches by a combined score of 6-1.
- Before facing Club Tijuana in Leg Two on Tuesday, New York will open MLS play against the Portland Timbers on Saturday at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and will be broadcast live on MSG2 and can be heard on Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.