New York Red Bulls 3, Minnesota United FC 0
2018 MLS Regular Season Match 3
Saturday, March 24, 2018 – 7 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
NY – Alex Muyl 1 (Kyle Duncan) 15’
NY – Bradley Wright-Phillips 2 (Tim Parker, Sean Davis) 42’
NY – Bradley Wright-Phillips 3 (Alex Muyl) 78’
NY – Marc Rzatkowski (caution, not retreating) 38’
MIN – Collen Warner (caution, unsporting behavior) 39’
MIN – Ibson (caution, unsporting behavior) 75’
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Connor Lade, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Kyle Duncan, Marc Rzatkowski, Sean Davis, Daniel Royer (Stefano Bonomo, 89’), Alex Muyl, Florian Valot (Carlos Rivas, 84’), Bradley Wright-Phillips (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 80’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 21; SHOTS ON GOAL: 9; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 4
Minnesota United FC: Matthew Lampson; Brent Kallman ©, Carter Manley, Marc Burch, Wyatt Omsberg, Collen Warner, Ethan Finlay, Ibson, Miguel Ibarra (Franck Pangop, 72’), Sam Nicholson (Mason Toye, 71’), Christian Ramirez (Abu Danladi, 63’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 6
Referee: Hilario Grajeda
Assistant Referees: Craig Lowry, Jonathan Johnson
4th Official: Jose Carlos Rivero
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
- The New York Red Red Bulls (2-1-0, 6 pts) used a total team effort to down Minnesota United FC (2-2-0, 6 pts), 3-0, on Saturday night at Red Bull Arena. New York is a perfect 4-0 at Red Bull Arena across all competitions this season and have outscored their opponents, 12-1.
- The Red Bulls are unbeaten at Red Bull Arena in their last 10 MLS regular-season matches (6-0-4). In those last 10 MLS matches, New York has outscored their opponent, 26-6, with six clean sheets.
- After a slow start to begin the season, Alex Muyl found his first goal of the season in the 15th minute, curling his shot from the right corner of the 18-yard box to the far post.
- In the 42nd minute, Sean Davis began the set piece that was a perfect tic-tac-toe. Davis, from 35 yards out, lofted his pass into the box for Tim Parker, who flicked the ball with his head towards net and Bradley Wright curled the ball in mid-air over Matt Lampson’s shoulder to double the lead, 2-0.
- With a 2-0 lead midway through the second half, Muyl, behind midfield, sent a perfect curling through ball behind the Minnesota backline to Wright-Phillips, who finished with a chip over Lampson to far post to complete his brace.
- BWP raised his career MLS regular-season goal total to 89 and 106 across all competitions.
- From 2014 to present, Wright-Phillips has scored 88 MLS regular-season goals, which is the most goals over a five-year span in MLS history. The Red Bulls striker surpassed Chris Wondolowski, who had 86 goals from 2010 to 2014.
- BWP moves into a tie with Carlos Ruiz for 11th all-time in league history with 89 career MLS regular-season goals.
- Wright-Phillips recorded his 19th career multi-goal game, moving him into sole possession of fifth place all-time in league history. BWP now has 15 career MLS regular-season braces.
- New York has scored at least two goals in five of the last six competitions (4 SCCL, 2 MLS).
- Captain Luis Robles recorded four saves to tally his second MLS regular-season shutout and across all competitions.
- Of Robles’s 51 career clean sheets, he has recorded 35 of them at Red Bull Arena. He has a career 1.01 goals-against average at home.
- Muyl not only scored his first goal of 2018, he tallied his first career multi-point game with a goal and an assist.
- Kyle Duncan tallied an assist on Muyl’s goal in the 15th minute to record his first career MLS regular-season point.
- In just two MLS regular-season matches as a Red Bull, Parker tied his season-high in assists with one.
- New York Red Bulls II products, Stefano Bonomo and Florian Valot, made their MLS debuts. Valot made his first appearance and start in a MLS regular-season match and Bonomo made his first appearance in a MLS regular-season match.
- Head coach Jesse Marsch recorded his 50th career MLS regular-season win as the Red Bulls head coach. Marsch owns a career record of 50-32-23 at New York.
- New York is 15-15-9 all-time in the month of March. New York has scored 52 goals in March and allowed 52.
- The Red Bulls deployed their seventh different starting XI tonight. Of the starting 11, New York had four Red Bulls Academy players (Connor Lade, Sean Davis, Duncan, and Muyl) and two USL products (Valot and Aaron Long).
- New York heads South for a match against Orlando City SC on Saturday, March 31 at Orlando City Stadium. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. with coverage on UniMas and Red Bulls Radio in English on TuneIn.