New York Red Bulls 2, LAFC 1
MLS Regular Season Match 22
Sunday, August 5, 2018 – 6 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
NY – Daniel Royer 7 (unassisted) 40’
LAFC – Diego Rossi 7 (Vela) 53’
NY – Daniel Royer 8 (Wright-Phillips, Rzatkowski) 80’
LAFC – Tyler Miller (caution, time wasting) 38’
NY – Bradley Wright-Phillips (caution, dissent) 60’
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Michael Amir Murillo, Sean Davis (Alex Muyl, 65’), Tyler Adams, Marc Rzatkowski, Daniel Royer (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 81’), Kaku (Connor Lade, 87’), Bradley Wright-Phillips
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 8; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 2
LAFC: Tyler Miller; Jordan Harvey, Steven Beitashour, Laurent Ciman ©, Walker Zimmerman (Danilo Silva, 84), Carlos Vela, Lee Nguyen, Benny Feilhaber (Eduard Atuesta, 58’), Latif Blessing, Diego Rossi, Adama Diomande (Marco Urena, 69’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 7; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 3
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistant Referees: Corey Rockwell, Jeremy Kieso
4th Official: Mark Geiger
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
- Daniel Royer completed his brace late in the second half to lead the New York Red Bulls (14-6-2, 44 pts) past LAFC (10-6-6, 36 pts), 2-1, on Sunday night at Red Bull Arena. The Red Bulls have won seven of their last nine matches.
- Following a loose ball inside the box, Royer, from the ground, scored his seventh of the season for the 1-0 halftime lead.
- LAFC’s Carlos Vela sent a through ball into the 18-yard box for Diego Rossi, who finished his seventh goal of the year.
- With the Red Bulls on the counterattack, Marc Rzatkowski sent a long pass from behind the midfield to a streaking Bradley Wright-Phillips. Wright-Phillips dribbled into the 18-yard box, fed Royer to the far post and finished the play for the game winner.
- Royer has tallied at least a goal in back-to-back matches and third in the last four games.
- The Austrian midfielder recorded his third career MLS brace and his seventh career game-winning goal.
- The Red Bulls continued their success against Western Conference opponents, improving to 8-1-0.
- New York has captured 26 of the possible 33 points at Red Bull Arena and have outscored their opponents, 29-10.
- New York continues to support the best home record in MLS since Red Bull Arena was built in 2010, with the most home wins (93) and points (310).
- The Red Bulls are now 40-43-20 all-time in the month of August. New York has scored 172 goals while allowing 163 during the eighth month of the year.
- The Red Bulls begin a three-match road trip, which will be there longest span of league games away from Red Bull Arena, beginning with the Chicago Fire on Saturday, August 11. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.