New York Red Bulls 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
MLS Regular Season Match 24
Saturday, August 18, 2018 – 7 p.m. ET
BC Place | Vancouver, BC
NY – Daniel Royer 9 (Wright-Phillips, Adams) 5’
VAN – Kendall Waston 2 (Reyna) 42’
VAN – Kendall Waston 3 (Felipe) 60’
NY – Daniel Royer 10 (Adams) 90’
VAN – Brek Shea (caution, unsporting behavior) 51’
NY – Kaku (caution, unsporting behavior) 61’
NY – Michael Amir Murillo (caution, unsporting behavior) 69’
VAN – Yordy Rena (caution, unsporting behavior) 71’
NY – Andreas Ivan (caution, unsporting behavior) 79’
NY – Michael Amir Murillo (ejection, second yellow) 84’
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Michael Amir Murillo, Sean Davis (Brian White, 82’), Alex Muyl (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 63’), Tyler Adams, Daniel Royer, Kaku (Andreas Ivan, 75’), Bradley Wright-Phillips
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 18; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
Vancouver Whitecaps FC: Stefan Marinovic; Aaron Maund, Brett Levis (Nicolas Mezquida, 66’), Jakob Nerwinski, Kendall Waston, Alphonso Davies, Brek Shea, Efrain Juarez (Russell Teibert, HT), Felipe, Erik Hurtado (Kei Kamara, 76’), Yordy Reyna
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4
Referee: Joseph Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Hanson, Nick Uranga
4th Official: Sorin Stoica
VAR: David Barrie
- Daniel Royer’s late-game equalizer helps the New York Red Bulls (15-6-3, 48 pts) steal a point at the Vancouver Whitecaps FC (9-9-7, 34 pts), 2-2, on Saturday night at BC Place. The Red Bulls are 7-2-1 in their last 10 matches.
- New York moved into a tie with Atlanta for the Eastern Conference and Supporters’ Shield lead with 48 points.
- Bradley Wright-Phillips generated New York’s first scoring chance as he swung in his pass, from the right side of the 18-yard box, in front of the face of Vancouver goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic for Royer. Royer struck the pass for his ninth goal of the season and gave the Red Bulls an early 1-0 in the fifth minute.
- With time winding down in the first half, Yordy Reyna connected with Kendall Waston, on a corner kick, for the equalizer in the 42nd minute.
- Waston earned his brace on another corner kick to give the Whitecaps the 2-1 lead in the 60th minute.
- Off the reset in the 90th minute, Tyler Adams sent a long pass to the far post for Royer, who finished underneath the crossbar and completed his brace for the equalizer.
- Royer has tallied at least a goal in four of the last six games to raise his season total to 10.
- The Austrian winger completed his fourth career MLS brace and has recorded 10-plus goals in back-to-back seasons.
- Adams tallied his second career two-assist match, previously recording two assists in a match against the Whitecaps on Oct. 7, 2017.
- Brian White, New York’s first-round pick (16th overall) in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft out of Duke University, made his first career first team appearance as he entered the match in the 82nd minute.
- The Red Bulls continued their success against Western Conference opponents, improving to 8-1-1.
- The Red Bulls are now 41-43-21 all-time in the month of August. New York has scored 175 goals while allowing 165 during the eighth month of the year.
- New York wraps up their three-match road trip at New York City FC on Wednesday, August 22. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET with coverage on FS1, FOX Sports GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.