New York Red Bulls 1, Orlando City SC 0
MLS Regular Season Match 34
Sunday, October 28, 2018 – 4:30 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
NY – Derrick Etienne, Jr. 5 (Murillo) 53’
ORL – Dom Dwyer (caution, persistent infringement) 45’
NY – Alex Muyl (caution, unsporting behavior) 74’
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Aaron Long, Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Kemar Lawrence, Sean Davis, Tyler Adams, Kaku, Derrick Etienne, Jr. (Fidel Escobar, 73’), Alex Muyl (Danny Royer, 79’), Bradley Wright-Phillips (Brian White, 90’+2’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 1
Orlando City SC: Adam Grinwis; Shane O’Neill, Scott Sutter, Amro Tarek, Chris Schuler, Oriol Rosell, Mohamed El-Munir, Sacha Kljestan, Yoshi Yotun, Chris Mueller (Josue Colman, 71’), Dom Dwyer
TOTAL SHOTS: 8; SHOTS ON GOAL: 1; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 3
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Kathryn Nesbitt, Nick Uranga
4th Official: Jose Carlos Rivero
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
- Derrick Etienne, Jr. slotted in the game-winning goal in the 53rd minute to lead the New York Red Bulls (22-7-5, 71 pts) past Orlando City SC (8-22-4, 28 pts), 1-0, on Sunday at Red Bull Arena. With the win, the New York Red Bulls recorded an MLS-best 71 points to capture their third Supporters’ Shield in the last six seasons (2013, ’15, ’18).
- Head coach Chris Armas became the third coach in franchise history to lead New York to a Supporters’ Shield in his first season as manager.
- In the post-shootout era (since 2000), New York surpassed MLS’ single-season wins record with their 22nd win on Sunday.
- New York continued to defend Red Bull Arena as they tallied an MLS-best 43 home points. The Red Bulls tallied their 200th league home win.
- The Red Bulls are unbeaten in 12 of their last 13 matches and have outscored opponents, 20-11.
- New York’s five-game winning streak is tied for the longest active winning streak in MLS with Seattle.
- After missing a penalty kick in the first half, Etienne Jr. took it into his own hands by dribbling past two defenders and beat Orlando’s Adam Grinwis low for the eventual game winner in the 53rd.
- Captain Luis Robles recorded one save for his league-best 14th league shutout and 63rd of his career. Robles moved into sole possession for ninth in league history with 63 shutouts.
- After allowing three goals in back-to-back matches to begin September, the Red Bulls have tallied four clean sheets in the last five games and have outscored their opponents, 9-1.
- The Red Bulls are now 29-16-11 all-time in the month of October. New York has scored 93 goals while allowing 68 during the tenth month of the year.
- With a first round bye, New York will wait for their semifinal matchup after the Knockout Round. The Red Bulls Eastern Conference Semifinals Leg One and Leg Two are set for Nov. 4 and Nov. 11 with New York hosting the second leg of the series.