HARRISON, NJ (Nov. 25, 2013) – The 2013 Supporters’ Shield champion New York Red Bulls unveiled their 2014 MLS regular season schedule on Monday afternoon. New York will open its campaign on Saturday, March 8, when it travels to BC Place to take on the Vancouver Whitecaps (Local TV TBA). Kickoff time of that match is 7:30 PM ET. A week later, the Red Bulls will hold their home opener at Red Bull Arena on March 15 against the Colorado Rapids at Red Bull Arena at 4:00 PM (TV: NBC Sports Network).
2014 Red Bulls Season Tickets are on sale now by calling 1.877.RBSOCCER or logging onto tickets.newyorkredbulls.com.
The full schedule and more information will be available shortly.
Each of the league’s 19 clubs will play 34 matches -- 17 at home and 17 away -- during 35 weeks. Within each conference, clubs will play the same number of in-conference and out-of-conference games.
Here are some notes on New York’s regular season schedule:
- The Red Bulls will play 25 matches against Eastern Conference teams and nine against Western Conference sides (once each). New York will battle the Montreal Impact and the New England Revolution twice while facing each of the other Eastern Conference sides three times each.
- Because of the unbalanced schedule format, the home and away fixtures were reversed from the 2013 regular season (i.e. if New York faced a Western Conference club on the road in the teams’ only match against each other in 2013, New York will host that same side in this season's fixture).
- Fourteen of New York’s 17 home matches take place on either Saturday (11) or Sunday (3). Two will occur on Wednesday nights, and one will occur on a Friday night.
- New York will have a 20-day break from MLS play in June coinciding with the group stages for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- Six of the Red Bulls’ first nine games are on the road. However, six of New York’s nine games to finish the season are at home.
- Nineteen of New York’s games will be shown via one of the three MLS national television partners (ESPN, NBC Sports, Univision). The Red Bulls’ local broadcast schedule will be announced at a later date.
- On April 12, New York travels to RFK Stadium to face Atlantic Cup rival D.C. United for the first time of the season (TV: NBC Sports Network). Four days later, the Red Bulls return home to square off against regional foe Philadelphia Union (Local TV TBA).
- On May 24, the 2013 Eastern Conference regular-season champion New York welcomes the Western Conference regular-season champion Portland Timbers to Red Bull Arena in the only match between the sides in 2014 (Local TV TBA).
- On June 27, the Red Bulls hold their only Friday game of the year (on the only off day between the FIFA World Cup Group Stage and Round of 16) when they battle Toronto FC (Local TV TBA).
- On July 4, the Red Bulls travel to BBVA Compass Stadium and take on the Houston Dynamo in the first match between the two sides since their 2013 Eastern Conference Semifinals series (TV: NBC Sports Network).
- On Sept. 6, New York hosts Sporting Kansas City, starting the Red Bulls' final run with six of their last nine games played at Red Bull Arena (Local TV TBA). Four days later, the Red Bulls host D.C. United in the final match of the season between the sides (TV: ESPN2).
- On Sept. 20, the Red Bulls host Clint Dempsey and the Seattle Sounders at Red Bull Arena (TV: NBC). Eight days after, New York will fly cross-country to square off against Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane, and the LA Galaxy at StubHub Center (TV: ESPN).
- On Oct. 19, the Red Bulls wrap up a three-game homestand and their regular-season slate at Red Bull Arena with a match against Eastern Conference rival Columbus Crew (TV: UniMas, Local TV TBA).