The New York Red Bulls play host to the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, October 1 at 7 p.m.
Here are some connections between the two clubs...
- Philadelphia’s Roland Alberg was born and raised in Netherlands. Dave van den Bergh played for the Red Bulls in 2007-2008, and was from the Netherlands as well. He played in 55 games, scoring nine goals and recording 13 assists. His biggest moment was scoring the winning goal to send New York to the 2008 MLS Cup.
- Philadelphia’s Fabinho has played in Australia, where Red Bulls legend Tim Cahill was from. Cahill played in 62 games from 2012-2015 for New York, scoring 14 goals.
- Tranquillo Barnetta of the Union is from Switzerland, where current Red Bull Felipe played from 2009-2011.
- Alejandro Bedoya, who recently joined the Union, has played on the USMNT with Sacha Kljestan since 2010, most recently in the two games at the beginning of September. Bedoya started both games, while Kljestan recorded two goals and two assists.
- New York’s Kemar Lawrence and Philadelphia’s Andre Blake have played together for the Reggae Boyz, the Jamaican National Team since 2014.
- Maurice Edu of the Union grew up in San Bernardino, CA. Sacha Kljestan was born and raised in Huntingdon Beach, CA, just over an hour away.
- Philadelphia’s Leo Fernandez, Ilsinho, and New York’s Felipe were all born and raised in Brazil.
- The Union’s Chris Pontius and the Red Bulls’ Kyle Reynish played together for UC-Santa Barbara in 2005-2006.
- Keegan Rosenberry and Joshua Yaro of the Union played alongside Brandon Allen of Red Bulls II and Alex Muyl of the Red Bulls from 2013-2015 at Georgetown.