HARRISON, N.J. (April 12, 2015) – New York Red Bulls II suffered its first loss this weekend to Wilmington Hammerheads, 3-0. Wilmington forward Nick Zimmerman struck twice in the first half in the 22nd and 43rd minute. The match was capped off in the 88th minute when Andres Mendoza buried his penalty kick to tally the third and final goal.
“When you don’t finish and make a few mistakes and things don’t go your way you’re going to get punished,” head coach John Wolyniec said. “When the game’s that open, good teams will punish you and we weren’t able to punish back.”
Red Bulls II goalkeeper Santiago Castano was active early and often in a first half dominated by Wilmington. In the 11th minute, Castano tipped an early chance from Tommy McNamara over the bar. Shortly afterwards a Sunny Jane strike destined for the lower left-hand corner was also denied from a diving effort from Castano. NYRB II would have its chance to break the deadlock in the 19th minute when Chris Tsonis picked the pocket of a Wilmington defender and charged forward alone, but goalkeeper Andre Rawls stepped up to make the save. Rawls finished the match with an impressive 10 saves.
The Hammerheads broke the deadlock just moments later in the 22nd minute when Zimmerman scored the first goal of the match. Wilmington forced a turnover and charged forward on an odd-man rush. Corben Bone passed off to Zimmerman who was charging down the right-side. He powered the low shot through the legs of Castano and it was the first time Red Bulls II has ever trailed in history. Zimmerman again punished Red Bulls II in the 43rd minute when a low cross deflected off the sliding Mike da Fonte and directly to the feet of Zimmerman who tapped home from close distance.
Red Bulls II emerged from the locker room clearly set on scoring a goal. First half substitute Franklin Castellanos wowed the crowd with a spin-move just outside the 18-yard box, but flashed his effort wide right. Tsonis had another chance at goal with only the goalkeeper to beat, but his blast was tipped by Rawls, careened off the crossbar and fell to Castellanos. Castellanos’ shot was blocked by a defender, and although NYRB II shouted for a handball, no call was made.
Derrick Etienne, in first career start, connected on the volley of a shot that looked destined for goal, but Rawls stepped up and made a stunning save. The Hammerheads closed out the game in the 86th minute when a breakaway forced Castano to take out the Wilmington attacker. Castano received a red-card, and although Rafael Diaz guessed correctly on the direction of Andres Mendoza’s attempt, he couldn’t make the save on a well taken shot. When the final whistle blew, Red Bulls II suffered its first ever loss, 3-0.
- WIL – Nick Zimmerman (Assisted by Corben Bone), 22’
- WIL – Nick Zimmerman, 43’
- WIL – Andres Mendoza (Penalty Kick), 88’
- NY – Santiago Castano, Ejection, 86’
- WIL – Kwadwo Poku, Caution, 89’
- NY: Santiago Castano, Shawn McLaws, Andrew Jean-Baptiste (Konrad Plewa, 68’) , Mike da Fonte, Anthony Wallace ©, Leo Stolz, Derrick Etienne, Dan Metzger, Manolo Sanchez (Daniel Bedoya, 68’) , Chris Tsonis (Alex Clay, 63’) , Marius Obekop (Franklin Castellanos, 29’; Rafael Diaz, 87’)
- WIL: Andre Rawls, Andrae Campbell (Connor Brandt, 60’) , Anthony Peters (Paul Nicholson, 63’) , Andres Mendoza, Corben Bone ©, Matt Dunn, Tommy McNamara (Justin Moose, 60’) , Pablo Alvarez (Ross Tomaselli, 84’) , Kwadwo Poku, Sunny Jane, Nick Zimmerman (Cody Arnoux, 84’)