New York Red Bulls II earned its second victory of the 2016 USL season, routing Bethlehem Steel FC at Red Bull Arena, 4-0.
Red Bulls II remains home at Red Bull Arena this weekend on Sunday, April 17, to take on the 2015 USL champion Rochester Rhinos at 4 p.m. ET (WATCH: NewYorkRedBulls.com/Live).
NYRB II runs rampant on Steel FC
New York Red Bulls II defeated Bethlehem Steel FC, 4-0, on Sunday night at Red Bull Arena. Goals from Alex Muyl, Anatole Abang, Derrick Etienne Jr. and an own goal by Bethlehem were the difference.
Red Bulls II led by two goals in the first four minutes, thanks to an own goal 11 seconds into the match and Muyl’s first professional goal.
Abang tripled the lead on a play that began when Etienne Jr. was tripped up in the midfield. The referee granted him advantage and passed off to Brandon Allen on the right side. The forward delivered a low-driven cross, which Abang tapped in at the back post.
Etienne Jr. finished off the scoring, thanks to an assist from Junior Flemmings. The midfielder chipped the onrushing goalkeeper for his first goal of the season and New York’s fourth of the game.
USL Power Rankings
NYRB II is ranked No. 2 in USLsoccer.com’s Week 3 Power Rankings, behind only Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
Through three games, Red Bulls II is 2-0-1 with back-to-back victories against Louisville City FC and Bethlehem Steel FC. The club currently sits atop the Eastern Conference with 7 points, thanks to its +6 goal differential, the best goal differential in USL.
Derrick Etienne Jr. named to USL Team of the Week
New York Red Bulls II midfielder Derrick Etienne Jr. was named to the USL Team of the Week for his one goal and two assists against Bethlehem Steel FC.
The 19-year-old Homegrown Player had a hand in all four goals versus Bethlehem. Etienne Jr., playing in his second USL season, has four goals and five assists in his USL career.
Next Up: Rochester Rhinos
New York Red Bulls II host Rochester Rhinos at Red Bull Arena on Sunday, April 17, at 4 p.m. This will be the first of three USL regular season matchups between the clubs.
Last season, New York tied Rochester in their only meeting at Red Bull Arena, 0-0. In three games last season, NYRB II were unable to defeat the eventual USL champions, finishing 0-2-1 against the Rhinos.
The teams last met in the USL Playoffs in the Eastern Conference Semifinals on Oct. 3, 2015. Konrad Plewa was issued a straight red card in the 22nd minute and Steevan Dos Santos scored two goals for the Rhinos, ending New York’s inaugural season with a win at home, 2-0.
NYRB II Notes
- NYRB II has not given up a goal in the last 225 USL minutes. The last goal allowed by New York occurred in the final seconds of the first half against Toronto FC II on April 4. Goalkeeper Ryan Meara has posted back-to-back clean sheets.
- Brandon Allen is currently enjoying a three-game points streak to start the USL season. Allen, who has tallied three goals and one assist, scored twice in the home opener, once against Louisville City FC, and assisted Anatole Abang’s goal versus Bethlehem Steel FC.
- NYRB II is off to its best start in two seasons. With a 2-0-1 record, the club is one of four teams in the Eastern Conference without a loss. In 2015, NYRB II did not win its second game until Week 7.
- Noah Powder has been called up to the Trinidad & Tobago U-20 Men’s National Team camp ahead of the Caribbean Football Union opening qualifying group phase in June towards the 2017 FIFA U-20 Men’s World Cup in South Korea. Powder has started all three games for NYRB II as an outside back.
- In 2015, NYRB II went on three separate four-game unbeaten streaks, the longest undefeated streaks in their two USL seasons. Red Bulls II are currently unbeaten through three games.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW YORK RED BULLS EMAIL NEWSLETTER