HARRISON, N.J. (April 29, 2016) – The New York Red Bulls defeated FC Dallas at Red Bull Arena on Friday evening, 4-0. Lloyd Sam opened the scoring in the first half, while Sacha Kljestan, Mike Grella and Felipe finished off the visitors with second half goals.
The victory propels New York into fourth place of the Eastern Conference standings with a 3-6-0 record. The Red Bulls are now 21-17-5 all-time versus Dallas and 12-8-2 all-time at home.
- The New York Red Bulls earned a second win in six days on Friday night, defeating league-leading FC Dallas, 4-0 at Red Bull Arena. Lloyd Sam got the game-winner, with Sacha Kljestan, Mike Grella and Felipe also getting in on the scoring.
- Lloyd Sam opened the scoring in the 37th minute. Sam played the role of finisher on a Red Bulls set piece, with Sacha Kljestan lofting the ball to the back post, and Sal Zizzo heading back across goal and into the path of Sam.
- The goal was Sam's first of the season, and the 20th of his New York regular season career. Sam becomes the fifth player in club history to record 20 goals and 20 assists in MLS league play.
- Sam would also earn an assist later in the match, giving him a goal and three assists on the season, all in the last two games.
- Sacha Kljestan got New York's second in the 53rd minute. With Dallas 'keeper Jesse Gonzalez out, Sam attempted a long distance shot. His attempt rang off the cross bar, but a hustle play from Kljestan saw the midfielder in good position to head home the rebound.
- Sacha Kljestan now has two goals and a team-leading five assists this season.
- Mike Grella got the third Red Bulls goal, running into space at the edge of the six-yard box to head home a cross off the foot of Felipe. The goal was Grella's third of the season.
- Felipe completed the scoring with a strike from the top of the box in the 83rd minute, taking a pass from Alex Muyl at the top of the box and firing a shot that found the top left corner beyond a diving Jesse Gonzalez.
- It was the first professional point for Muyl, who signed as a Homegrown Player in December out of Georgetown University.
- Felipe and Grella are tied for the team lead in goals, with three apiece.
- 2016 MLS SuperDraft first-round pick Justin Bilyeu made his MLS debut, entering the match for Kemar Lawrence in the 80th minute.
- Luis Robles earned his first clean sheet of the season, and the 29th of his MLS career, extending his own franchise record.
- New York is now 21-17-5 all-time against FC Dallas, including a 12-8-2 mark at home.
- New York is 37-32-20 all-time in the month of April. The Red Bulls have scored 121 goals in April all-time and have conceded 106 goals during the month.
- New York has won consecutive games for the first time in 2016. The Red Bulls sit currently in fourth place in the Eastern Conference.
- New York next heads out for two on the road, both Friday night contests, at Orlando City SC on May 6 and at D.C. United on May 13. The Red Bulls return home on Wednesday, May 18 to host the Chicago Fire at 7:30 p.m.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW YORK RED BULLS EMAIL NEWSLETTER