New York Red Bulls 1, Atlanta United FC 0
2020 MLS is Back Tournament | Group E Game 1
Saturday, July 11, 2020 – 8 p.m. ET
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex | Orlando, Fla.
NY – Florian Valot 1 (Kaku) 4’
ATL – Franco Escobar (yellow, unsporting behavior) 42’
ATL – Pity Martinez (yellow, unsporting behavior) 45’+3’
New York Red Bulls: David Jensen; Jason Pendant (Tim Parker, 90’), Aaron Long, Amro Tarek, Kyle Duncan, Cristian Cásseres, Jr., Sean Davis ©, Kaku (Omir Fernandez, 58’), Florian Valot (Jared Stroud,70’), Daniel Royer (Marc Rzatkowski, 90’), Tom Barlow (Alex Muyl, 58’)
Unused Subs: Patrick Seagrist, Sean Nealis, Ben Mines, Ryan Meara, Mandela Egbo, Kendall McIntosh, Chris Lema,
TOTAL SHOTS: 6; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 4
Atlanta United FC: Brad Guzan ©, Franco Escobar, Fernado Meza, Brooks Lennon, Miles Robinson, George Bello (Jake Mulraney,72’), Matheus Rossetto (Adam Jahn,72’), Pity Martinez, Luis Castro (Ezequiel Barco, 57’), Emerson Hyndman (Jeff Larentowicz, 56’), Mo Adams (Eric Remedi, 81’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 11; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 3
Unused Subs: Anton Walkes, Brendan Moore, Edgar Castillo, Alec Kann, Jon Gallagher, Laurence Wyke, George Campbell
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistant Referees: Kyle Atkins, Jason White
4th Official: Victor Rivas
VAR: Alex Chilowicz
Attendance: Closed-door match
- Florian Valot’s first goal since 2018 helped lead the New York Red Bulls (2-0-1, 7 pts) past Atlanta United FC (2-1-0, 6 pts), 1-0 on Saturday night at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
- New York leads Group E in the MLS is Back Tournament with three points and a plus-one goal differential.
- The Red Bulls extended their 2020 season unbeaten streak to three matches (2-0-1) and their MLS regular-season unbeaten streak over Atlanta, 5-0-2.
- New York broke the scoreless draw early in the match as Kaku, from midfield, sent his pass over the backline for Florian Valot in stride to finish to the far post.
- Danish goalkeeper David Jensen recorded his first career MLS cleansheet, tallying four saves.
- Valot became New York’s fifth different goal scorer to start 2020. The Red Bulls have tallied five goals total in 2020.
- Recently signed French left back Jason Pendant made his MLS debut in the Starting XI, while New Jersey native Jared Stroud made his MLS debut as a substitute in the 70th minute.
- New Jersey native Chris Lema, who was signed from New York Red Bulls II, and Mandela Egbo, who came over from SV Darmstadt 98, made their MLS 23-man roster debut.
- Since the Red Bulls implemented their high-press system in 2015, New York improved to 71-12-16 when scoring the first goal of the match.
- New York has not only scored first in the first three games of the season but has also held its first three opponents scoreless in the first half.
- Head coach Chris Armas raised his career record to 28-17-9 overall. Armas is two wins away from cracking New York’s top-five all-time MLS wins list.
- New York is 52-43-23 all-time in the month of July. New York has scored 192 goals in the seventh month of the year and allowed 180.
- New York’s Group E second match will be against Columbus Crew SC on Thursday, July 16 at 10:30 p.m. ET, with coverage on FS1, Fox Deportes, TUDN and Red Bulls Radio.