New York Red Bulls 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1
Aggregate after 1st leg: New York 1, Vancouver 1
Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League | Quarterfinals Leg 1
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 8 p.m.
Red Bull Arena - Harrison, N.J.
VAN -- Kekuta Manneh (Kendall Waston, Cristian Techera) 39’
NY – Bradley Wright-Phillips (Gonzalo Veron, Sal Zizzo) 62’
VAN – Tim Parker (caution, foul) 41’
VAN – Erik Hurtado (caution, foul) 55’
VAN – Cristian Techera (ejection, foul) 70’
NY – Sacha Kljestan (caution, unsporting behavior) 80’
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles; Justin Bilyeu, Aaron Long, Aurelien Collin, Sal Zizzo, Sean Davis, Felipe, Danny Royer (Derrick Etienne Jr., 73’), Sacha Kljestan ©, Gonzalo Veron, Bradley Wright-Phillips (Mike Grella, 87’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 7; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 3
Vancouver Whitecaps FC: David Ousted; Jake Nerwinski (Sheanon Williams, 76’), Kendall Waston ©, Tim Parker, Jordan Harvey, Matias Laba, Russell Teibert, Cristian Techera, Kekuta Manneh (Kyle Greig, 80’), Alphonso Davies, Erik Hurtado (Giles Barnes, 63’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 19; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 1
Referee: Cesar Ramos
Referee's Assistants: Marvin Torrentera, Miguel Angel Hernandez
4th Official: Jose Penaloza
- The New York Red Bulls played to a 1-1 draw with Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday night in the first leg of a Quarterfinal series in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League at Red Bull Arena. Bradley Wright-Phillips scored for New York to keep the teams level on aggregate going into next week’s second leg in Vancouver.
- It was the first match of the season for the Red Bulls. The team heads to Vancouver for the second leg next Thursday, March 2. New York then travels to Atlanta to open the season against expansion side Atlanta United FC on Sunday, March 5.
- The MLS home opener is set for March 11, when the Colorado Rapids visit Red Bull Arena.
- Bradley Wright-Phillips scored for New York in the 62nd minute to tie the match at one. The play started with a cross from Sal Zizzo that was brought down by Gonzalo Veron. The ball fell to Wright-Phillips for a finish from the penalty spot.
- Vancouver was reduced to 10 men in the 70th minute after Cristian Techera was shown a straight red for a serious foul play.
- It was the first match wearing the armband for Sacha Kljestan, who was named captain last week.
- Aaron Long earned the start after his MLS contract was announced earlier today.
- Mike Grella appeared off the bench as a late sub weeks after having a knee scope.
- Michael Amir Murillo made the gameday roster after joining New York on loan from San Francisco FC (Panama) last week.