New York Red Bulls II returned to its winning ways with a win on the road against Pittsburgh Riverhounds, although the game was overshadowed by a horrific on-field incident.
This weekend, Red Bulls II returns home to host the Richmond Kickers on Saturday, May 14 at 4 p.m.
New York Red Bulls II was victorious at Highmark Stadium against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds on Saturday night, 3-1. Anatole Abang opened the scoring while Stefano Bonomo and Derrick Etienne Jr. added second half goals.
The win improved New York to 4-1-2 on the season. NYRB II finished week into third place of the Eastern Conference. The victory also extended Red Bulls II’s undefeated road record to 3-0-0 on the season.
Two red cards were issued in the 85th minute to Karl Ouimette and Romeo Parkes. Following the ejections, Parkes kicked Ouimette from behind and the defender was stretchered off the field. Since the incident, Parkes’ contract with the Riverhounds was terminated and USL suspended the player for the remainder of the 2016 season.
Red Bulls head coach Jesse Marsch acknowledged Ouimette suffered a, “back contusion,” and the player later revealed on Twitter, “Just got some good news, nothing is broken. I still have some pain but it could have been a lot worse. Thanks for the support!”
NYRB II to Montclair State in 2017; Play Remainder of 2016 at Red Bull Arena
New York Red Bulls II has finalized a partnership with Montclair State University to upgrade the university’s current Pittser Soccer Complex to serve as the club’s home beginning in 2017.
The remainder of the 2016 USL season will be played at Red Bull Arena.
The Red Bulls will make improvements to Pittser Soccer Complex including, but not limited to, increased seating capacity, press box and streaming capabilities.
As a result of playing all remaining 2016 home games at Red Bull Arena, kickoff times of home matches on June 26 (Wilmington Hammerheads FC), July 2 (Rochester Rhinos) and July 23 (Charleston Battery) have been changed.
Next Up: Richmond Kickers
On Saturday afternoon, the Richmond Kickers are coming to town. The visitors exited Week 7 of the USL season with a 4-2-1 record in fifth place of the Eastern Conference standings.
Red Bulls II was successful in their last outing against the Kickers on July 25, 2015, 4-3, at Red Bull Arena. New York is 1-2-0 all-time against Richmond.
With a win last weekend against Wilmington Hammerheads FC, Richmond has won back-to-back games. Top scorer Yudai Imura leads Richmond three goals and one assist in five games played. Prior to this weekend, the Kickers have a game on Wednesday on the road against Toronto FC II.
- NYRB II has not allowed a second half goal all season. Through seven games, New York has allowed five goals in the first half and none in the second 45.
- Red Bulls II leads USL in goal differential with +7 through seven games. The club has scored 12 goals and conceded five. New York is tied for the second-least amount of goals allowed in USL.
- With 14 points from just seven games, NYRB II is off to its fastest start to a season. In 2015, New York did not reach and exceed 14 points until Week 13.
- Stefano Bonomo scored the game-winning goal and his first of the season last weekend against Pittsburgh. It was the forward’s second game-winner of his career and fourth goal in two USL seasons.
- Derrick Etienne Jr. was named to the Week 7 USL Team of the Week Bench for his performance against Pittsburgh. The midfielder scored his second goal of the season on the volley of a Junior Flemmings cross.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW YORK RED BULLS EMAIL NEWSLETTER