New York Red Bulls II 5, Philadelphia Union II 4
2020 USL Championship Regular-Season Match 14
Saturday, September 26, 2020 – 5:00 p.m. ET
MSU Soccer Park | Montclair, NJ
NY – Omar Sowe (Dieye) 13’
NY – Omar Sowe (Lema) 19’
PHI – Jack McGlynn (penalty) 43’
PHI – Axel Picazo (Stafford) 55’
NY – Jake Lacava (unassisted) 65’
NY – Bo Cummins (Dieye) 67’
PHI – Jack McGlynn (Stafford) 69’
NY – Joe Fala (Tolkin) 86’
PHI – Luis Flores (penalty) 90’
NY – Chris Lema (ejection, professional foul) 38’
NY – Joe Zalinsky (caution, foul) 41’
PHI – Cherif Dieye (caution, dissent) 42’
PHI – Jamoi Topey (caution, foul) 46’
New York Red Bulls II: Luca Lewis; Edgardo Rito, Joey Zalinsky, Joe Fala, Bo Cummins (Preston Kilwien, 70’); Chris Lema, John Tolkin, Samad Bounthong (Kenan Hot, 83’); Cherif Dieye (Deri Corfe, 70’), Omar Sowe (Sebastian Elney, 83’), Dantouma Toure (Jake LaCava, 58’)
TOTAL SHOTS: 22; SHOTS ON GOAL: 13; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 2
Philadelphia Union II: Matt Freese ©; Nathan Harriel (Issa Rayyan, HT), Anthony Sorenson, Dante Huckaby, Jamoi Topey (Q Sullivan, 51’), Paxten Aaronson (J Jasinski, 63’), Jack McGlynn (Anges Kader Bohui, 70’), Brandan Craig, Axel Picazo (Luis Flores, 64’), Cole Truner, Caden Stafford
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 8
Referee: Ernie Constantine
Assistant Referees: Tom Felice, Tyler Wyrostek
Fourth Official: Jacqueline Amaya
- New York Red Bulls II (5-9-0, 15 pts) overcame a first-half red card to defeat Philadelphia Union II 5-4 on Saturday evening at MSU Soccer Park.
- New York got out to an early 2-0 lead thanks to a pair of goals just six minutes apart from Harrison, N.J. native and Red Bulls Academy graduate Omar Sowe, his team-leading 6th and 7th goals of the season.
- Captain Chris Lema was issued a straight red card for a professional foul in the 38th minute. Lema contributed an assist on Sowe’s second goal prior to the sending off.
- Philadelphia would grab momentum following the sending off, scoring a goal on either side of halftime, including their first of two penalties on the night.
- Second-half sub and fellow Red Bulls Academy graduate Jake LaCava put New York back ahead in the 65th minute, getting his own rebound and finding the back of the net for his 5th of the season.
- Current Red Bulls Academy defender Bo Cummins followed up two minutes later, scoring his first professional goal. Cherif Dieye earned his second assist of the night on that goal.
- Philadelphia got one back two minutes after that, marking the third goal in a six-minute stretch during the second half.
- Centerback Joe Fala got New York’s fifth of the night, and second off of a set piece, heading home a ball from another Academy product, John Tolkin.
- Fala’s insurance goal would prove to be the game winner, and Union II earned a 90th minute penalty to pull back within one.
- Newly signed goalkeeper Luca Lewis made his debut in the match. Lewis, a New York native, signed with NYRB II after playing with Torino Primavera in Italy.
- NYRB II close out the season with a home match against Hartford Athletic on October 4 at 5 p.m. ET.